White noise and sound machines are a popular product for assistance in falling asleep — whether you simply can’t sleep in the silence or love the comforting sound of ocean waves, a rainforest, or rainfall. But with so many options out there to consider, it can be overwhelming to figure out which white noise machine is best for you.
That’s why we rounded up this list of the best white noise machines. We also put together some of our best tips for shopping and how to pick a white noise machine that works for you toward the end of this page. But for now, let’s dive into the best white noise machine.
Best White Noise Machines Video Review
Best White Noise Machines 2023
- SNOOZ White Noise Machine – Best Overall
- Magicteam Sound Machine – Best Portable
- Hatch Rest Smart Sound Machine – Best for Kids
- Yogasleep Dohm Classic Sound Machine – Easiest to Use
- BGOVERSS White Noise Machine – Best Value
SNOOZ White Noise Machine – Best Overall
SNOOZ White Noise Sound Machine
The SNOOZ is a great way to have white noise in your bedroom to help you fall asleep.
4.50 / 5Read Full Review
The SNOOZ White Noise Machine is powered by a fan, so it makes real white noise. Because it doesn’t use a recorded track, there’s no possibility of a looping track or low sound quality. You can control this white noise machine by pressing the left and right buttons to increase the sound, as well as twisting the body of the machine to control the tone of the white noise.
You also have the option of using the companion app (although it’s not necessary for the basic functionalities), which allows you to schedule white noise to start and stop at specific times. You can also make the white noise fade in and out, dim the lights, and other small customizations through the app.
What Customers Say
Customers say the SNOOZ does an excellent job of blocking out external sound in noisy apartments or hotel rooms — several mention how easy it is to bring this sound machine on the go for travel, too. Customers also say the SNOOZ is very easy to use.
Pros of the SNOOZ White Noise Machine
- Easy to use: With simple physical controls or the option of using the companion app, the SNOOZ couldn’t be easier to use.
- Customizable: Since you can physically adjust the SNOOZ to alter the volume and tone of the white noise, you can make it fit your exact specifications.
- Programmable: With the use of the app, you can program the SNOOZ to start white noise at your bedtime automatically.
Cons of the SNOOZ White Noise Machine
- One sound option: Because the SNOOZ uses a fan to create white noise, you don’t have any other options for noise to fall asleep to, such as nature sounds or music.
- Expensive: At close to $100 at full retail, the SNOOZ is among the pricier white noise machines on this list. It may not be the best option for budget shoppers.
If the SNOOZ sounds like the best white noise machine for you, click here for the best deal.
Magicteam Sound Machine – Best Portable
Magicteam White Noise Machine
This tiny sound machine is great for use at home or on the go!
The Magicteam Sound Machine is a great option for travel because of its tiny size. The Magicteam easily fits in the palm of a hand and weighs less than half a pound. This machine may be little, but it is mighty. It features 20 different sounds, including waves, rain, fire, birds, a brook, and a fan. Another great feature for travel is that the power cord can be plugged into an AC outlet or into a USB port, so you can use this machine in a variety of locations with different outlets. And it has the option for an auto-off timer, which you can set for one to five hours of audio.
What Customers Say
Customers say the Magicteam is “small but mighty,” commenting on how wide the range of volume is given how small the machine itself is. Many reviews also mention how easy it is to use on the go.
Pros of the Magicteam Sound Machine
- Lots of sound options: With 20 different sound options, it’s easy to find one that appeals to you. The Magicteam has sounds like brown noise, pink noise, various fans, different levels of rain, rivers, campfires, and more.
- Lots of volume options: Despite its size, the Magicteam can get pretty loud. It has 32 different volume levels, so you can really customize how loud or quiet you want the sound to be.
- Budget friendly: At under $30, the Magicteam is among the more affordable white noise machines on this list.
Cons of the Magicteam Sound Machine
- No battery: This sound machine has to be plugged in to work, so it may not be the best for those without an outlet near their bed.
- Simple design: The Magicteam Sound Machine isn’t designed with any specific aesthetic in mind. It’s basically a small black box, so it won’t take up much space, but it also doesn’t look especially nice.
If this sounds like the right sound machine for you, click here to get the best deal.
Hatch Rest Smart Sound Machine – Best for Kids
Hatch Rest Sound Machine
The Hatch Rest functions as a sound machine and wake-up/wind down light. Controls from an app and a toddler lock mode make it ideal for kids.
4.80 / 5
The Hatch Rest Smart Sound Machine functions as a sound machine and a light, easily controlled and customized via the Hatch app. Through the app, you can play 11 different sounds and 10 preset light colors (or you can use the color wheel to select your own custom color!). The Hatch Rest is a great tool for helping kids practice wind-down and wake-up routines, as you can use light sound to soothe your little ones to sleep or to help them wake up in the morning. Plus, with the paid Hatch membership, you can gain access to a library of music and bedtime stories.
What Customers Say
Customers say they love the variety of sound and light options the Hatch offers, as well as having the ability to control it from their phones. Many say it has been beneficial for their children, but some adults love it for themselves, too!
Pros of the Hatch Rest Smart Sound Machine
- Lots of sound options: The Hatch Rest offers 11 different sound options, which include crickets, rain, white noise, birds, wind, ocean, water stream, dryer, and three lullabies.
- Wake-up/wind-down light: Unlike the other sound machines on this list, the Hatch Rest doubles as a sunrise alarm clock. Parents may find these light features useful in helping their kids wake up or wind down for bed.
- Customizable: You can set favorites to easily access your favorite sound and light combos, as well as set timers to create programs (such as a bedtime routine, naptime routine, or wake-up routine).
Cons of the Hatch Rest Smart Sound Machine
- Paid membership: If you want to access the full library of Hatch’s music and bedtime stories, you’ll have to pay for a membership. However, you can access the 11 different sounds that come with the Hatch Rest without the membership.
- Not budget friendly: At around $70 for the Rest 2nd Gen (the model we tested — there is also a Rest+ 2nd Gen, which costs about $90), this product isn’t the most budget friendly.
Get our best deal on the Hatch Rest Smart Sound Machine here.
Yogasleep Dohm Classic Sound Machine – Easiest to Use
Yogasleep Dohm Serious Sleep Sound Machine
This sound machine offers a simple, user-friendly way to tune out the silence.
The Dohm Classic Sound Machine is another white noise machine powered by a fan, so it provides a “real” white noise instead of a recording. This eliminates the worry of a loop or poor sound quality, since it is just the sound of blowing air. The Dohm is super easy to control — all you have to do is plug it in and turn it on “one” or “two,” depending on how loud you want the sound. From there, you can twist the upper and middle parts of the machine to alter the tone of the white noise to your liking. And that’s about it! We found it to be really easy and intuitive to use. It doesn’t require any additional setup or apps.
What Customers Say
Customers note how they love the use of a fan, so there is no worry of the sound looping. They say it works well to drown out background noise.
Pros of the Yogasleep Dohm Classic Sound Machine
- Color options: You can choose a Dohm that fits your aesthetic, as they offer five different color options: white, gray, black, tan, and pink.
- Long cord: The Dohm has a 7-foot long cable, so you should be easily able to plug it in, even if there isn’t an outlet near your bed.
- Adjustable: By twisting the different parts of the Dohm, you can alter the volume and tone of the white noise to your liking.
Cons of the Yogasleep Dohm Classic Sound Machine
- One sound option: While you can customize the sound, this sound machine only produces white noise. If you want the option of nature sounds or music, this won’t be the best for you.
- Not aesthetically pleasing: The Dohm’s design isn’t very modern or sleek — it looks a little like a medical device, especially in the white color. For some, the lack of curb appeal may mean they don’t want it displayed on a nightstand.
Interested in this sound machine? Get our best deal here.
BGOVERSS White Noise Machine – Best Value
BGOVERSS White Noise Machine
The BGOVERSS White Noise Machine is a great budget option for a sound machine with a variety of options.
This little sound machine offers a lot of functionality and is super easy to use, while not taking up much space or costing very much. Affordably priced at under $30, this white noise machine should be a solid budget option. It features 14 sounds, which you can cycle through with the forward and backward arrows on the machine. You can also adjust the volume, set auto-off timers, and turn the nightlight on or off.
What Customers Say
Customers say the BGOVERSS White Noise Machine is easy to use and appreciate the variety of sound options. They also note that the volume can get pretty loud, if you want.
Pros of the BGOVERSS White Noise Machine
- Color options: The BGOVERSS White Noise Machine comes in a few different colors: white, black, gray, light blue, light green, light purple, pink, and wood. You should be able to easily choose something that fits with your bedroom.
- Lots of sound options: The 14 sound options include white noise, pink noise, brown noise, fan, clothes dryer, crickets, singing birds, ocean, thunderstorm, and three lullabies.
- Nightlight: The nightlight feature on this white noise machine is an added bonus for sleepers who like a little light on in case they need to get up in the night.
Cons of the BGOVERSS White Noise Machine
- Difficult controls: Some customers on Amazon note that the buttons are hard to see or feel in the dark, if you want to adjust the noise at night. Plus, the controls aren’t the most intuitive to figure out.
- No battery: This sound machine must be plugged in to work.
Think this could be the white noise machine for you? Click here to get the best deal.
How We Picked
We use sound machines to help mask out noises that would otherwise startle us out of sleep or keep our minds active and our senses overloaded. White noise sound machines utilize a range of frequencies to help achieve that without causing too much of a disruption on its own. However, not every white noise sound machine will suit your needs. We evaluated a number of different features on numerous leading options. The following are the factors we used to make our decisions.
Whether it is the variance of frequencies, the natural sound noises, the brightness, or even the volume, no two white noise sound machines feature the same adjustability. Some units pride themselves on how you can tune in to different frequencies, tailoring the pitch and volume to your exact needs. Other units have adjustable brightness, whether by dimming or with different options you can select. Depending on how much you plan on adjusting the unit for your own sleep or just rather to share with your family, you should definitely check which features have customizations and which don’t when making a purchase.
This is an industry that not only caters to a wide array of people, families, and organizations, but some white noise sound machines are designed to fit certain situations. There are devices that bend over backwards to have that modern look that fits into offices or a refurbished apartment. Other devices feature tan, black, or gray units that will blend into any environment. If you have a family, the devices that are easier to operate with tiny illustrations on the button might fit right into the look of a baby’s room.
White noise sound machines, or rather, any sort of sound machine, is not the sort of item you want to purchase over and over again. It’s best to get it right the first time. While some units are lower priced, they often have less features or can be harder to use than the pricier offerings. Expect to pay closer to $50 for a top-of-the-line product. Bear in mind, however, that some of the lower-cost devices can be perfect given your circumstances and needs.
Variety of Frequencies
There are several types of sounds used for sleep. While not as well known as white noise, pink noise or brown noise are two different sets of frequencies that will have a different aural effect for humans. Brown noises are lower frequency sounds that come through as low and heavy noises. Pink noises occupy a higher frequency range and provide softer sounds as the frequencies increase. Some white noise sound machines actually include these types of sounds, which makes finding the right noise for falling asleep or zoning out easier for many users.
Not sure which white noise sound machine is best for you? We recommend keeping these things in mind when making your purchase:
- Who will be using this? Like most things in life, there are white noise sound machines that are better for adults, and some that are designed to be useful for children or babies. While most of the machines not marketed for children would work fine, you might be missing out on some noises suited for children and nightlight features.
- Where will you be putting it? If this is going in your office, you may opt for a black or gray machine, or a smaller, more compact device than the average. If this is going into your home, or will be for children, you may want a more fun aesthetic that suits your personal tastes.
- How much variety do you need? Some sleepers may have very particular sleep needs, whether on a night-to-night basis or even throughout an attempted slumber. If you will be sharing this device with a partner, family, or office, then you may need more options to satisfy the different sleep patterns or daytime environments when you may need privacy or a distraction from outside noises. Sometimes less options are better as it makes the unit easier to use, especially in the dark.
Is it okay to sleep with white noise?
Yes, it is generally okay to sleep with white noise. Be sure you are not playing any audio loud enough that it would be damaging to your ears and if you have specific concerns, talk to your doctor before implementing white noise into your sleep routine.
Is it better to sleep in silence or with noise?
It depends! There is no better way to sleep, so if white noise helps you sleep more easily than sleeping in silence, we’d recommend giving it a try.
What is the best color noise for sleep?
There are different noise “colors” available these days. The color essentially describes the frequency of the sound — blue noise has a higher frequency and brown noise has a lower frequency. There is no definitive best color noise for sleep, although many people prefer one over the others. Learn more in our guide to colored noise.
Are white noise machines worth it?
They can be. If you like to have some noise to help you sleep, or you need to drown out some noisy neighbors, white noise machines can be a great fix. But if you sleep well without one, you may not need one.